Many have heard about the effort to divest Harvard University from fossil fuels, but the divestment movement is a not a Harvard-only phenomenon. This panel discussion will explore how divestment of fossil fuels has emerged as a broader movement and policy issue, with a case study on Massachusetts and its state pension fund.
- State Senator Ben Downing (the Senate sponsor of the Divestment bill).
- State Representative Marjorie Decker (the House sponsor of the Divestment bill and HKS alum).
- Karen Higgins, Co-President of National Nurses United (whose state affiliate has endorsed fossil fuel divestment).
- Jim Recht, Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and representative of Harvard Faculty for Divestment.
- MODERATOR: Craig Altemose, Executive Director of Better Future (organization that has helped lead the local divestment movement) and HKS alum (’10).
- Date & Time: Tuesday April 26th, 6-7 pm (food will be served).
- Location: Room T-275, Taubman building, Harvard Kennedy School (see directions).
- Co-sponsors: HKS Climate Justice Caucus, Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation, 350 Massachusetts.